Locking Primary School is situated approximately 4 miles outside of Weston Super Mare. We are fortunate to have very beautiful grounds which include large playing fields and a great variety of trees. We share our grounds with several squirrels that can often be seen in the trees or scurrying across the playground. We are a large school with a village ethos where everyone works together to ensure all pupils have a wide range of opportunities and experiences to fulfill their potential. Developing the 'whole child' is at our core.
We have approximately 398 pupils, housed in three separate buildings, a FS2/KS1 block, a KS2 block and a new block. This number is due to increase to 420 by 2018. FS2/KS1 and KS2 come together for various activities, which include a weekly celebration assembly. KS2 Play Leaders also help the younger pupils at playtime and lunchtime.
Across the school we are single age classes and 2 form entry. We have 2 Foundation Stage Classes, 4 KS1 classes and 8 KS2 classes.
In 2018 we became an Academy as part of the Extend Learning Academy Network. 8 Primary Schools benefit from working together to enhance and enrich the education of all pupils.
Locking is a popular school with children coming to us from all parts of Weston. It is a community where the education of the whole child is developed in a caring organised and happy environment. We recognise and respond to the strengths and needs of all members of the school in order to realise the full potential of everyone. We enjoy, 'Working Together, Playing Together and Learning Together'.
- we have extensive grounds for outside learning
- we have a pond and wildlife area with a covered area so we work here in all weathers
- we have a Forest Schools area where pupils can use the outside environment to learn skills, build self-esteem and confidence which helps them in the classroom environment
- we have covered areas for Foundation Stage with astro turf so we can use it all year round
- we have covered areas for Year 1 so they can use this area for learning all year round
- we have a Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) for football
- we have a large playground which is used for sporting events and competitions
- we have a gardening area and gardening club which has won Weston in Bloom 3 years running
- we visit Sri Lanka once a year and their teachers visit us so we can develop our global goals together and learn from different education systems
- we have Eco monitors in school who are devoted to reducing, recycling and re-using.